Tamsui - Fort San Domingo
Located in Tamsui District, Fort San Domingo is also called Fort Antonio. In 1628, the Spanish occupied the north of Taiwan and built a fort called San Domingo. After the Dutch expelled the Spanish, they built a new fort and called it Fort Antonio. In 1644, they rebuilt the fort with the structure still standing today. When the time came to the Qing Dynasty, the fort was took over by the British as their trade consulate in Taiwan. Till 1980, the Republic of China government retrieved the land. Fort San Domingo is called Ang Mo Fort in Hokkien. It is not only one of the oldest buildings still standing in Taiwan, but also a Grade one historic site.